Kohlrabi as in Coleslaw
Kohlrabi is one of those oft-overlooked vegetables that does not seem to have gained traction in mainstream supermarkets but is beloved by chefs when in season. Chicago Chef Stephanie Izard might well be kohlrabi’s biggest fan, showcasing it often at her Girl & the Goat restaurant in a butternut squash kohlrabi salad or kohlrabi salad with blueberries. A member of the brassica family with origins in Germany and Italy, the slightly-sweet kohlrabi is related to other cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage. Keeping this ‘family tree’ in mind will inform your recipe choices.
As the temperatures are still a wee bit cooler, you might opt to roast ½”-thin slices of kohlrabi, tossed with some sliced fennel, smashed garlic, a little olive oil, salt and pepper and serve alongside roasted chicken (your own or a quick rotisserie pick-up). Or pull out that mandoline or spiral-slicer and make kohlrabi ribbons. Sauté these quickly in browned butter and fold into fresh-cooked pasta, chopped herbs, top with a little ricotta salata – a happy match to grilled pork chops or halibut.
Need more inspiration? Shredded kohlrabi is the perfect base for your favorite slaw – toss with matchstick-sized pieces of crisp apples, lemon juice, good French Dijon mustard, a few Marcona almonds, (a tablespoon of mayonnaise here wouldn’t be a bad idea either). Or make a Greek slaw with fresh dill and feta and a dollop of Greek yogurt, kosher salt and pepper.
We can’t wait to hear how you decide to use your kohlrabi from this week’s CSA! Leave us a note on our Facebook page or tag us in your posts, #StoneHollowFarmstead #SHFCSA #TuesdayTable.
GIRL & THE GOAT RECIPES
WHAT'S IN THE BAG
A complete list of the contents of the CSA share this week
- Asparagus - Habersham Farms / Mentone, Alabama
- Hothouse Cucumbers - Greenleaf Nursery / Joppa, Alabama
- Green Tomatoes - Greenleaf Nursery / Joppa, Alabama
- Shiitake Mushrooms - Grandview Farm / Montevallo, Alabama
- Kohlrabi - Belle Meadow Farm / Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Red Spring Onions - Belle Meadow Farm / Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Dinner Rolls - Hinkel's / Birmingham, Alabama
- Pinto Beans - South Alabama
- Okra - Florida
- Chard - Gardens On Air / Gadsden, Alabama + Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
From Stone Hollow
- Baby Kale
- Sorrel - add chopped into a vinaigrette as an herb, tossed as a green in a salad, or stirred into a soup / imparts a fresh lemon flavor; more info: What do I do with sorrel?
- Strawberry Jam
- Cow's Milk Yogurt
- Purple Daikon + Easter Egg Radishes
- Amish Butter
- Working Cow Dairy / Slocomb, Alabama
Cheese and/or Yogurt
- Kunik Cow's + Goat's Milk Blend Triple Cream - Nettle Meadow Farm / Warrensburg, New York
Recipes We Love From People We Trust
Asparagus w/ Avgolemono + Crunchy Herb Crumbs - use sorrel as an herb
Simple Cucumber + Spring Onion Salad - try w/ sorrel
Pinto Bean Veggie Burgers - parcook pintos for 15 minutes, strain and rinse, then simmer for another 20 minutes until tender