What do the numbers 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34 have to do with vegetables?
Surprisingly more than you would think.
This series of numbers, also called a Fibonacci Sequence, is created by adding up the two numbers before the original number. It goes like this: starting with 0 and 1, the sequence appears as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so forth. Fibonacci numbers can be found endlessly in nature in something known as the Golden Ratio.
You may recognize the spiral pattern from the inside of a nautilus shell or in the way sunflower seeds populate a flower head. You will also notice this pattern in the intricately marvelous way Romanesco grows – seeing it firsthand in this week’s CSA share.
Romanesco is part of the Brassica family, related to cauliflower and broccoli. It has the most gorgeous chartreuse color that you will want to maintain by not overcooking the florets. While the appearance may be striking the flavor is delicate, letting other profiles take center stage in a dish. The florets are perfect on a crudité platter or tossed with browned butter, lemon zest and capers as a side to roast chicken.
This summer and fall, Farmer Dwight Hamm will be growing lots of it for Stone Hollow Farmstead CSA shareholders. We are grateful to him – and to all of our producers – who make this CSA such a joy to share. As always, we’d love to see what new ways YOU come up with to enjoy your Stone Hollow Farmstead CSA this week. Make sure you tag us in your Instagram pics with #SHFCSA.
WHAT'S IN THE BAG
A complete list of the contents of the CSA share this week
- Romanesco Cauliflower - Hamm Farms / Cullman, Alabama
- Baby Carrots - Mt. Laurel Farm / Mt. Laurel, Alabama
- Peaches - Chilton County, Alabama
- Breaker Tomatoes - Willy Banks / Slocomb, Alabama - use these now as green tomatoes or let them hang out for a few days and enjoy them ripe
- Plums - Chilton County, Alabama
- Field Peas - Chilton County, Alabama
- Shiitake Mushrooms - Grandview Farm - Montevallo, Alabama
- Cantaloupe - Auburn Wiregrass Research and Extension Center / Headland, Alabama
- Blueberry Steudel - Hinkel's / Birmingham, Alabama
From Stone Hollow
- Curly Parsley
- Assorted Radishes
- Marinated Goat Cheese or Jar of Preserves
- Nasturtium Herbed Butter
- Working Cow Dairy / Slocomb, Alabama
Cheese and/or Yogurt
- Reserve Cheddar - Grafton Village / Grafton, Vermont
- Rose Petal Marinated Goat Cheese - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
Recipes We Love From People We Trust
Romanesco w/ Brown Butter Toasted Panko - try w/ nasturtium butter
Roasted Radishes + Carrots w/ Lemon Butter Dill Sauce - try w/ nasturtium butter