NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table.
Can we get a hallelujah for the rain last night? We have been doing our rain dance for a while now, as the farm has been incredibly thirsty. It wasn’t much, but the storm gave our crops and animals a much-needed drink. Greens are few and far between this week, so a few of the items in your share came from Georgia. Our friends in Georgia are just slightly better off because of the harshness of the drought.
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Tomatoes – Chandler Mountain, Alabama
- Crookneck Yellow Squash – Georgia
- Baby Vidalia Onions – Cowart Farms, Lyons, Georgia
- Collard Greens – Georgia
- Elegance Mix – Stone Hollow Farmstead / Birmingham, Alabama
- Easter Egg Radishes – Mount Laurel Farm / Birmingham, Alabama
- Ginger Cookies – Hinkle's Bakery / Birmingham, Alabama
- Purple Potatoes – Habersham Farms / Mentone, Alabama
- Jerusalem Artichokes (Sun Chokes) – Habersham Farms / Mentone, Alabama
- Oyster Mushrooms – Southern Foothills Farm / Oneonta, Alabama
- Chive Blossom Goat Cheese – Stone Hollow Farmstead / Birmingham, Alabama
- Green Tomato Chutney – Stone Hollow Farmstead / Birmingham, Alabama
Cheese + Yogurt*
- ‘Hidden Falls’ bloomy rind cheese – Shepherd’s Way Farms / Nerstrand, Minnesota
- Cow’s Yogurt – Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
* for information on add-on shares, visit the CSA page.
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share.
- Baked Tomatoes
- Stewed Collard Greens
- Crispy Jerusalem Artichokes with Aged Balsamic
- Roasted Radishes with Brown Butter, Lemon, and Radish Tops
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #stonehollowcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead