NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table.
Happy CSA day! Things on the farm are going so well. We’re so excited to welcome all the fresh blooms and we look forward to all the blooms to come. Planting is dominating our time, and we’re heavily focused on propagating dahlias. Believe it or not, we’re beginning to run out of garden space!
Baby goats are being born daily, keeping us on our toes!
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Radishes – Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Vidalia Onion and Muscadine Marinated Goat Cheese – Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Mixed Greens (Elegance Mix and Kale) – Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Vidalia Onions– L.G. Herndon Jr. Farms, Inc. / Lyons, Georgia
- Strawberries – Cullman County, Alabama
- Ramps– Habersham Farms / sourced from Georgia*
“Ramps, Allium tricoccum or Allium tricoccum, var. burdickii, also known as wild leeks, are native to the eastern North American mountains. They can be found growing in patches in rich, moist, deciduous forests and bottoms from as far north as Canada, west to Missouri and Minnesota, and south to North Carolina and Tennessee. In early spring, ramps send up smooth, broad, lily-of-the- valley-like leaves that disappear by summer before the white flowers appear. The bulbs have the pleasant taste of sweet spring onions with a strong garlic-like aroma.” - Read More
* Ramps may be placed in water in mason jar near direct sunlight for further growth
- Pizza Dough– Corey Hinkle / Birmingham, Alabama*
* Take from fridge, lightly flour, stretch out on greased baking sheet, top with choice of toppings, bake according to recipe
- Asparagus – Habersham Farms / Mentone, Alabama
- Arugula– Mount Laurel / Birmingham, Alabama
- Sweet Potatoes– Mississippi
Cheese + Yogurt Share
- Ewephoria Extra Aged Sheep’s Gouda– Holland
- Grade A Jersey Cow’s Milk – Stone Hollow Farmstead / Birmingham, Alabama
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share.
- Caramelized Ramp And Ribboned Asparagus Pizza
- Spring Asparagus Frittata With Crème Fraiche (Sub With SHF Goat Cheese)
- Mini Zeppoles with Roasted Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Pavlova with Chocolate Cream
- Baked Eggs with Ramps, Sweet Onions, Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
- Garlic Butter Sweet Potato Noodles
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #shfcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead