NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table.
We are happily preparing for the coming blooming of the dahlias. Sweet peas are at their peak so they, are included in this week's share - enjoy them! We are covering them in the field to protect from the worsening heat so we get more blooms out of the plants.
We've been enjoying our new baby lambs from Kentucky and from Dayspring Dairy in Alabama. We're hoping in a few years to have some mixed milk for aging cheese.
We're starting seeds for the third round of our sequential planting and getting ready to plant the seedlings from the second round. The chicken pasture is being rotated to grow tomatoes, and we're transplanting tomatoes that voluntarily came up in that pasture from surplus heirlooms fed to them last year! Spring is in full bloom here at the farm! We hope you're enjoying it as much as we are!
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Beets w/ Greens - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Carrots w/ Greens - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Radish Relish* - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Baby Kale - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Feta (Cow) in Brine - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Arugula - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Scallions - Heron Hollow / Maplesville, Alabama
- Beefsteak Tomatoes - Green Leaf / Cullman, Alabama
- Zucchini - Owl's Hollow Farm / Gadsden, Alabama
- Beit Alpha Cucumbers - Owl's Hollow Farm / Gadsden, Alabama
- Strawberries - Owl's Hollow Farm / Gadsden, Alabama
- Radish Sprouts - Gardens on Air / Rainbow City, Alabama
- Brioche Made With SHF Duck Eggs - Corey Hinkel / Birmingham, Alabama
*Radish Relish Ingredients:
Radishes, Sugar, Vinegar, Onion, Celery, Salt, Horseradish
Cheese &/Or Yogurt Share :
- Havarti - Andrew & Everett Farm To Table Cheese / United States
Milk Share :
- Milk - Working Cow Dairy / Slocomb, Alabama
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share.
- Rosemary-Roasted Beets and Carrots
- Kale & Arugula Salad with Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- Baked Zucchini with Parmesan
- Tomato, Scallion, and Cheddar Frittata
- Roasted Beets
- Hungarian Vegetable and Sprout Soup
- Beet Greens and Feta Pasta
- Roasted Carrots With Carrot Top-Pistachio Pesto
- Roasted Feta with Thyme Honey
Interesting Tip : What To Do With Carrot Greens
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #shfcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead
From Last Week : Share member Melanie shared with us two of her dishes she prepared with her last week's share (tomato and sprout toast, left; dairy-free asparagus spup, right, recipe below):