NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table.
With Summer upon us, we're currently cutting about 40 stems a day. Sadly we are preparing to pull up all of the sweet pea flower plants and replace them with summer flowers.
As a result of all the rainfall we've had, the grass has become very hard to manage. We are doing our best to keep it cut. The horses even had to be taken off grain because of this bounty! If it keeps up, they'll be so fat that we'll have to bring them in during the day to keep their diet under control.
The weather has affected the staff as well. The rain has driven the goats into the barn for shelter, and as a result, many of the members of our team have found themselves in the last week giving the animals pedicures to care for their feet. The weather has provided perks for everyone!
Also, we're headed into fly season and our fly predators shipments are coming weekly. About 100,000 fly predators a week are being put out to keep the fly population to almost 0. These little guys are really amazing.
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Arugula - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Red Carrots - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Parsley - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Squash - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Hen Eggs - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Green Beans - Habersham Farm / Mentone, Alabama
- Beit Alpha Cucumbers - Owl's Hollow Farm / Gadsden, Alabama
- Romanesco Zucchini - Owl's Hollow Farm / Gadsden, Alabama
- Raddichio - Heron Hollow Farm / Maplesville, Alabama
- Lacinato Kale - Heron Hollow Farm / Maplesville, Alabama
- Summer Radishes - Heron Hollow Farm / Maplesville, Alabama
- Yellow Onions - Mt. Laurel Farm / Mt. Laurel, Alabama
- Herbed Bread - Hinkel's on Main / Springville, Alabama
Cheese &/Or Yogurt Share
- Mustard Seed and Ale Red Dragon Cheddar / England
- Cow's Milk - Working Cow Dairy / Slocomb, Alabama
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share.
- Cucumber And Radish Salad
- Spicy Cucumber Banchan
- Zucchini Spaghetti with Arugula Pesto
- Lemon Poppy Seed Summer Squash Bread
- Kale, Onion and Cheddar Frittata Recipe
- Carrot and Radicchio Salad with Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Pistachio & Parsley Pesto
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #shfcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead