NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table
Just as in the city, the rain has not stopped at the farm. As a result, the dahlias are exploding. They are our favorite flower crop, and this year, they are coming on early and strong. The squash are behaving the same way. Their blossoms will not relent!
Too much though is becoming a bad thing. The sloppiness of all this precipitation is about to give way to flooding. Aside from an increased feed bill as a result of the goats remaining inside and avoiding the grass in the pasture, the tuber roots of the dahlias risk rotting. Luckily, the remainder of the week looks to be dry.
The weather let us taste some early blue- and blackberries from our neighbors late last week. We should have some soon for our members. We also worked with our blooming herbs: we distilled and made floral jellies. The lime basil planted in front of The Pantry will visit the still later this week, and we think the hydrosol it produces will smell beautiful. We plan to share the fruits of these endeavors in the coming weeks with you all.
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Cucumbers - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Pattypan and Striata D'Italia Squash - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Pink Eyed Peas - Cullman, Alabama
- Peaches - Courtney Farms / Chilton County, Alabama
- Crookneck Squash - Courtney Farms / Chilton County, Alabama
- Tomatoes - Chandler Mountain, Alabama
- Clover Sprouts - Gardens on Air / Rainbow City, Alabama
- Shiitake Mushrooms - Southern Foothills Farm / Oneonta, Alabama (Brian and Liz Pictured below)
- Cured Onions - Heron Hollow Farm / Maplesville, Alabama
- Swiss Chard - Owl's Hollow Farm / Gadsden, Alabama
- Cow's Milk - Working Cow Dairy / Slocomb, Alabama
Cheese &/Or Yogurt Share
- Saint André / France
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share.
- Savory Summer Squash Custard
- Shiitake 'Bacon'
- Peach Tarts w/ Goat Cheese & Honey
- Spinach and Swiss Chard Pie
- Quick Fresh Tomato Sauce
- African Pea Salad - Use Pink Eyes in Place of Black Eyed Peas
- Cucumber, Avocado, & Sprouts Sandwich
- Tequila Peach Pie
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #shfcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead