NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table.
When we weren’t staring up at the sky these past few days, we were watching the city install our very own fire hydrant out by the road. It’s something we’ve badly needed since Stone Hollow’s establishment. Without it in the event of a fire, we’d have only what water the fire truck could carry to rely on to extinguish any blazes. Now that the city water has been brought to the road in front of our property, it’s just a matter of waiting on our plumber friends to bring it the rest of the way to the creamery and lab.
In the garden, we’ve been picking the volunteer cherry and heirloom and hybrid tomatoes green and pickling them. They are being put up with onions as a sweet mix, as well as, a spicy mix. There’s a bunch, so y’all will likely see some in the coming weeks in your shares.
While the cows and goats are done milking for the season, it’s time to transition between hays. Pictured below is the bahiagrass our neighbors bailed for us this past week. It’s heat and drought tolerant, so we grow it all summer and feed it during the winter offseason when the girls are producing milk, as it’s lower in protein. We’ll start back up again in the spring with high protein alfalfa and continue with it through next summer.
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Red Potatoes - Henke Farms / Cullman, Alabama
- Yellow Squash - Knight's Farm / Clanton, Alabama
- Slicing Tomatoes - Knight's Farm / Clanton, Alabama
- Muscadines - Witt Farm / Hayden, Alabama
- Red Cabbage - Owl's Hollow / Gadsden, Alabama
- Butternut Squash - Owl's Hollow / Gadsden, Alabama
- Fairytale Eggplant - Mt. Laurel Farm / Mt. Laurel, Alabama
- Pink Eyed Peas - Chilton County, Alabama
Milk Share :
- Milk - Working Cow Dairy / Slocomb, Alabama
Cheese &/or Yogurt Share :
- Harlech Cheddar w/ Horseradish and Parsley - Wales, United Kingdom
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share.
- Carmelized Fairytale Eggplant
- Pickled Eggplant (Melanzane Sott’Olio)
- Summer Squash Baba Ganoush
- Muscadine + Port Wine Syrup w/ Vanilla Ice Cream
- Mustard-Glazed Red Cabbage w/ Apple
- Butternut Squash + Ricotta Cake
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #shfcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead