NOTES FROM THE FARM
Each week, owner of Stone Hollow Farmstead, Deborah Stone will offer a behind-the-scenes look at life on the farm, in hopes of sharing the entire journey of our farm to your table.
Currently on the farm, we are distilling final crops and herbs for skincare, cutting flowers to be dried for bouquets in November, December and January, and digging up old crops to replace with winter crops. We are in desperate need of rain, and are busily managing spot watering, so we don’t lose our nectarous grass.
We have run into some growing pains watching the grass struggle, which has resulted in relocating the goats to the back forty so they can browse. Browsing entails eating above ground, from trees, while grazing is where the goats simply eat from the grass on the ground. Every time the goats graze, they risk producing off-flavored cheese. With that being said, our goats only graze during the milking months, and will browse in the off-season to ensure only the most flavorful cheeses. We’ve gone ahead and dried up the goats and have let them browse for the beginning off-season.
In other news, our Fall Farm Dinner is quickly approaching, and we have all hands on deck to prepare the grounds for this marvelous event. You won’t want to miss it!
THIS WEEK'S CSA SHARE
A complete list of what's in the bag for this week.
- Herbs De Provence - Marinated Goat Cheese - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Tangerine/Clove Preserves - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Poblano Peppers - Jones Valley Teaching Farm / Birmingham, Alabama
- Fairytale Eggplant - Mt. Laurel Farm / Birmingham, Alabama
- Shishito Peppers - Mt. Laurel Farm / Birmingham, Alabama
- Baby Cucumbers - Whited Farms / Blount County, Alabama
- Baby Crookneck Squash - Whited Farms / Blount County, Alabama
- Pink Eyed Peas – Chilton County, Alabama
- Delta Sweet Potatoes – Mississippi
- Red and Green Tomatoes – St. Claire County, Alabama
- Okra - Jerry Gladden / St. Claire County, Alabama
- Seminole Pumpkins - Habersham Farms / Mentone, Alabama
- Italian Oyster Mushrooms - Grandview Farms – Montevallo, Alabama
- Rosemary Olive Oil Bread / Rustic Boule Corey Hinkel – Birmingham, AL
Cheese &/or Yogurt:
- Chèvre Rolled in White Chive Blossoms - Stone Hollow Farmstead / Harpersville, Alabama
- Yogurt with Apple Preserves - Harpersville, Alabama
All recipes are selected to offer cooking suggestions on how to prepare the contents of your weekly share.
- Grilled Shishito Peppers with Honey, Lime and Miso
- Grilled Fairytale Eggplant with Garlic Yogurt Sauce and Pomegranate
- Heirloom Tomato Salad with Fresh Lady Peas
- Sweet Potato, Kale and Shrimp Skillet
Don't forget to show off your food styling skills! Use hashtag #stonehollowcsa and tag us on Instagram @stonehollowfarmstead