Welcome to our CSA blog, where we're excited to share delightful ways to make the most of your farm-fresh produce! In this edition, we'll explore some fantastic suggestions for incorporating the star ingredients from our farm (and our friends) into your culinary adventures.
Get ready to dive into a world of heirloom tomatoes, melons, okra, basil/parsley, eggs, pickled blueberry vinegar, pickled fennel, carrots, butter beans, yellow summer squash, and cherry tomatoes. Let's explore these vibrant flavors and elevate your seasonal cooking.
WHAT's IN THE BASKET?
From Our Farm
Basil / Parsley
Pickled Blueberry Vinegar
- Country Sourdough | Hinkle’s Bakery
- Mushrooms | Grandview Farms
- Heirloom Tomatoes | Habersham Farms
FROM OUR REGION
- Butter Beans | Clanton
- Yellow Summer Squash | Clanton
- Cherry Tomatoes | Clanton
Heirloom tomatoes are a summertime treasure, bursting with flavor and color. Enjoy them sliced with fresh mozzarella and basil leaves for a classic Caprese salad. Elevate your brunch by making a refreshing tomato salsa to pair with avocado toast or serve alongside scrambled eggs. For a heartier option, try making a savory tomato galette or a flavorful tomato sauce for pasta.
Sweet and juicy, melons are the epitome of summer refreshment. Slice up your melons and enjoy them as a cooling snack on hot days. Create a refreshing melon salad with a drizzle of lime juice, mint leaves, and a sprinkle of feta cheese. Blend melon chunks into smoothies or freeze them into popsicles for a delightful treat.
Okra offers a unique texture and a touch of Southern charm. Fry okra until crispy and golden for a delightful appetizer or side dish. Add it to gumbo or stew for a comforting meal. Roasting okra with a sprinkle of spices yields a healthy and delicious snack. You can also pickle okra to enjoy its tangy flavor all year round.
Harness the aromatic power of basil and parsley to enhance your dishes. Make a vibrant pesto by blending basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Toss the pesto with pasta or use it as a sauce for grilled vegetables. Chop parsley and sprinkle it over roasted potatoes or use it as a garnish for soups and salads.
With farm-fresh eggs, the possibilities are endless. Whip up a fluffy omelet loaded with your favorite vegetables and herbs. Bake a quiche with a flaky crust and a creamy egg filling. Poach eggs and serve them atop avocado toast or a bed of sautéed greens. Don't forget to try your hand at homemade mayonnaise or a classic custard-based dessert like crème brûlée.
PICKLED BLUEBERRY VINEGAR + PICKLED VINEGAR
These tangy ingredients add a burst of flavor to your dishes. Drizzle pickled blueberry vinegar over mixed greens for a unique salad dressing or use it to marinate grilled chicken or fish. Pickled fennel is a versatile accompaniment to charcuterie boards or sandwiches, adding a delightful crunch and a hint of sweetness.
Carrots are incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed in various ways. Roast them with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of thyme for a caramelized side dish. Shred carrots and toss them into coleslaw or use them in homemade veggie burgers. Make a vibrant carrot and ginger soup or incorporate grated carrots into baked goods like muffins and cakes.
Butter Beans, Yellow Summer Squash, & Cherry Tomatoes
Combine these three ingredients for a delightful succotash, sautéed with onions and garlic. Grill yellow summer squash slices and serve them as a flavorful side dish. Enjoy the burst of sweetness from cherry tomatoes in salads, pasta dishes, or even as a topping for bruschetta.
With this diverse array of produce from Stone Hollow Farmstead and Clanton, your culinary journey is set to be a flavorful adventure. Embrace the flavors of heirloom tomatoes, melons, okra, basil/parsley, eggs, pickled blueberry vinegar, pickled fennel, carrots, butter beans, yellow summer squash, and cherry tomatoes. Let your creativity shine in the kitchen as you explore these vibrant ingredients and savor the bountiful offerings of the season. Happy cooking!
- 6 Small Yellow Squash, stem and bottom removed
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Vidalia Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Crushed Saltine Crackers (more if required to get the squash to come together)
- Herbs (your choice of cayenne, parsley, dill, rosemary etc)
- Grated Cheese of your choice (optional)
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- Slice squash and onions and boil in broth or water for 5ish minutes until tender.
- Drain Well.
- Mix squash, onion, egg, crushed crackers salt, pepper, and herbs together. Mix well.
- The mix should hold together so that you can make patties. Sprinkle patties with cornmeal.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Add patties to hot oil and fry for 6-8 minutes until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
If you still have some of your Ramp Pesto from previous CSA, add a dollop of yogurt and some mashed avocado to your ramp pesto and mix throughly. Serve with the croquettes and enjoy!
Oyster Mushroom Toast
Russ and I went to North Georgia for a long weekend during chanterelle mushroom season and were served a delicious appetizer on bread. Here is my version of it on Hinkles French bread.
- 1-2 Green Onions with tops, chopped
- 1 oz Olive Oil
- 1-2 pads of butter, melted
- Fresh Mushrooms, sliced (you might want to add other mushrooms to the portion given in this csa)
- 1/4 cup Dry White Wine
- Pinch Salt, to taste
- Pinch Pepper, to taste
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 2 tsp Coconut Aminos
- Sauté onions in butter and olive oil in a cast iron skillet
- Stir in remaining ingredients and sauté over medium heat until mushrooms are tender, add white wine to deglaze pan.
- Remove mushrooms to rest in a bowl while you make the sauce.
- Add a bit of all purpose flour to the liquid and simmer to make a sauce.
- Re add the mushrooms and any juices that they rendered back into the sauce pan.
- Slice and toast the bread, butter it and add mushroom topping with sauce. YUM!!!
RECIPES FROM FRIENDS
2. Pickled Melon with Prosciutto, Basil and Mint | Williams Sonoma
3. Heirloom Tomato and Grilled Squash Salad with Makrut Lime Dressing | Williams Sonoma